On 6th June 1944, No. 4 Commando landed at Ouistreham (Sword Beach) and fought their way to Pegasus Bridge, with the 177 Free French of the No. 10 (Inter-Allied) Commando given the honour of spearheading the advance on their home soil.
Ouistreham had a 52ft high concrete bunker that was in charge of the batteries covering the River Orne and the canal and formed a last pocket of resistance when the British troops landed at Sword Beach and took the town. A garrison of German soldiers was held up inside for 3 days after D-Day until Lieutenant Bob Orrell of the Royal Engineers, accompanied by 3 men, blew upon the armoured door with explosives and the garrison of two officers and fifty men surrended to the Allies.